Ahhhh, summer and Birkenstock sandals. They go together like a sunny day and ice cream.
You’ve just bought a brand new pair of Birkenstock sandals – maybe from our online shoe store or one of our 9 locations in Canada – you love them and you’ll wear them all summer long. But what should you do to take care of them and make sure you get the most out of them?
Below are a few simple tips we’ve learned from our years of experience as a Canadian shoe store that can help you prolong the life of your Birkenstock sandals.
1. Avoid Moisture
- Your shoes shouldn’t be immersed in water as the leather will become hard and brittle. The glues and sealants will dissolve in water.
- We also suggest you don’t wear your Birkenstock across damp grass. Repeated exposure to minimal amounts of water can do the same damage.
- Salt water is corrosive so you should rinse the buckles whenever they have been exposed to salt water. The buckles and rivets can be replaced.
- If your shoes do become wet, allow them to dry slowly, away from direct heat.
2. Avoid Extreme Heat
- We can’t stress this enough and often you may not even realize that your sandals are near heat.
- A hot car on a warm day, heat from a vent or radiator, a fireplace or sitting too close to the camp fire can cause damage your Birkenstock footwear.
- Both the cork and the soles of your Birkenstocks can be damaged by exposure to concentrated heat. The sole will shrink and separate from the sole.
3. Apply A Cork Sealant
- Your new Birkenstock have a light coat of sealant on the cork but eventually this does wear off.
- Periodically applying a thin coat of sealant will protect the cork and prolong the life of your sandals.
- Barge Cement or Contact Cement can be used but always test a small spot to make sure you’re happy with the results.
4. Clean & Protect
- Protect the uppers of your leather and suede sandal from moisture and dirt. Tana All Protector spray should work on most.
- The best time to find out how to clean the uppers us when buying your sandals. Your Becker Shoes Sales representative will know which product to recommend for the leather and suede straps.
- Birko-Flor uppers can be wiped clean with a damp cloth.
5. Caring for Foot beds
- The footbed – bottom of the shoe – is constructed of layers of jute and cork covered in a suede lining. The footbed is designed to absorb moisture from your feet.
- We know you love to wear your Birkenstocks all the time but giving them a break once in awhile, will allow them to air out and prevent a build up of excess moisture and odours.
6. Repairing the Soles
- Birkenstock soles can be replaced but it is best to replace them before they have worn right through to the cork. Just like your car, watch the tread pattern wearing away on the sole.
Becker Shoes sells shoes online in Canada including Birkenstock sandals or at 9 Canadian shoe stores. Browse over 50 shoe brands and 700 styles online and enjoy FREE shipping within Canada at BeckerShoes.com.